Saturday, April 26, 2008

El Rancho Grande on Plainfield

Friday, 25 April I completed 60 years of life. Hey it's just another number my dad would say -- and of course he would be right. But somehow such benchmarks serve a very real purpose: to keep us on our toes about the importance of enjoying life. After all, someday we will be drooling for a living and we want to have some pretty good memories to look back on as we bounce our wheelchair from one side of the assisted living dining room to another.

Right?

Well let's hope it's not that bad.

Anyway, it was a beautiful day, sunny and warm, hinting that maybe, just maybe spring had in fact arrived. Susie was working long and hard to try and get a little ahead of things for the weekend -- our friend Valerie is scheduled to arrive Saturday evening and we wanted to have plenty of quality time to spend with her.

So I spent Friday morning catching up on some chores at home and by midday thought I would stop and have lunch out somewhere. I had heard and read (thanks to the tomato soup blog) some very good things about El Rancho Grande, and since it's on Plainfield avenue, just a five minute drive from our condo, I thought I would check them out.

Right after I sat down the server brought out a small bowl of homemade chips and salsa. As reported in the tomato soup blog the salsa is indeed unique and nothing quite like anything I've had before. (Of course I am no expert on this type of cuisine. or any type come to think of it.) Somewhat piccante, a bit, just a bit sweet, very pleasant texture. And the chips were delicious too.

Anyway, I had a fairly simple lunch: one tamale classic, which I found very pleasant, one chicken taco, soft and a bit awkward to handle and a side of refried beans. The beans were a bit thin in texture but tasty nonetheless. Anyway, I soon discovered to simply put the taco mixture into the beans and then spoon the result back onto the tortilla. Voila!

All of this was washed down by a Negra Modelo, a rather dark Mexican beer that I had become slightly fond of since first having it several months ago at another nearby "Mexican" restaurant.

This is definitely a big thumbs up: low prices, great service, delicious food. What more could you ask for?

El Rancho Grande
313 Plainfield
Providence, 02909
401.275.0808

No comments: