Saturday, April 19, 2008

Wine preferences and the search for Averna

What kind of wines do you look for? Since there are a gazillion wines out there -- and more coming all the time from South America, Australia and New Zealand, Connecticut (more of that later) -- I have pretty much taken a vow to bypass those new wines for the "old world" products. I stick with French and Italian.

Now before you go ballistic let me explain that I'm not stodgy and set in my ways -- probably not -- anyway I simply prefer "old world" wines to "new world" products. We like the acid-fruit balances found in the Loire, Alsatian and Sicilian whites; and the fruit found in the reds of Piemonte and Tuscany shine over and above even the best California cabernets. Those wines are made to go with food -- lots of different food I might add -- and they show it time and time again. For example, I've found that a solid Chianti Classico goes with just about any food -- East or West. But that's my palate and not yours.

Naturally when I go shopping for wines I check out the French and Italian selections. Generally speaking, with the strong Euro and weak dollar I have found Italian prices to have gone up significantly over the past few years. Still I'd much rather spend my hard-earned 30 bucks on a Barbaresco than on some boutique jammy Zinfandel from one of a thousand quaint wineries in California.

And French prices seem to have remained steady and, like Spanish, can often be a good value, not to mention a tasty choice. Steering away from Bordeaux and Burgundy -- although some value can be found in those regions to be sure -- the Alsace, Loire and southwestern and southern France are all good bets.

I also check to see what the store has for digesitivo, digestif, or after-dinner drinks. I have become addicted -- I think that's probably an apt term -- to the Italian amaro, or bitter. I love the refreshing feel of a Campari and soda before a meal to cleanse my palate and get it ready for the onslaught of food to follow.

But I particularly love a soothing bitter after dinner.

But not just any "bitter." I don't care for Fernet Branca or Ramazzotti or Cynar or even Montenegro; and while I do like Nonino I much prefer the Sicilian Averna (sorry Aimone). I steer clear of the somewhat sweet "cordials" such as Amaretto or Sambuca or Frangelico. For me a meal isn't complete without a digestivo, which helps to settle the stomach, preparing it for bedtime.

So, like the values hiding out in the corners of France and Italy, I'm always on the lookout for prices of Averna -- when I can find it of course.

It was one day in search of Averna that I had an example of the challenges facing those of us who love that particular amaro. A couple of months ago I stopped by Town Liquors to check on Averna and they had three bottles, one priced at $15.95 and two at $21.95 (I believe). I asked a salesman if they could get more and when he returned from checking his computer (the bane of all wine lovers I might add) he informed me that yes he could. The cost? $26.95.

Strong Euro indeed! I certainly don't blame Town -- everywhere I go it's pretty much the same story. Averna, like the other digestivi, is expensive, and yet is not what you would call a power selling product. And the odd thing is no one will discount Averna! I have yet to find anyone who will add it to the case discount for example.

So far the least expensive bottle of Averna I have found is at Campus wines in Providence: $23.99.

1 comment:

Steph said...

I've never had Averna, but I am a fan of Cynar. Ever had it?